Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, May 1, 2008

    CIX Innovators

    For the last two days I have been at the Canadian Innovation Exchange or CIX here in Toronto. A really good conference for understanding the Venture Capital world.

    The best part for me was the 20 Canadian innovators who were selected, and then paid, to pitch to the room full of VC's. I didn't find out until the afternoon session that the companies had paid to present. I thought it was like a DemoCamp. I asked some probing questions that I though would help -- they didn't -- I sort of wished I hadn't now. Good times.

    Some of the presentations were better than others, some of the ideas were better than others but the electricity in the room was palpable as you knew that some wily VC might be financing the next Apple or Ubisoft. I heard there were some deals done.

    I must admit I drifted off during a couple of the presentations as a) I didn't really care about the idea or b) their presenting skills weren't up to snuff.

    We all voted by text after the presentations and the winner was Octopz.

    Most you can google easily so I haven't put links. But one was hard to find so I've put a link in.

    Morning
    Accipiter Radar Technologies Inc., Fonthill, ON - Radar technology
    Acquisio, Saint Lambert, QC - Paid Search Management software
    Brainpark, Inc., Toronto, ON - 'What are you working on' secure solution for business (Facebook meets Linkedin for your business).
    CellWand Communications, Toronto, ON -#TAXI (mobile texting)
    Coveo, Quebec, QC -Search powered info finding for business (like google mail)
    HomeZilla, Toronto, ON -Real Estate search
    Octopz, Toronto, ON -rich media sharing/ creative collaboration
    Standout Jobs, Inc., Montreal, QC - Job / HR help
    Streametrics Corporation Inc., Montreal, QC -video metrics
    TimePlay Entertainment, Toronto, ON -Interactive devices for theatres

    Afternoon
    Akoha Inc., Montreal, QC - pay it forward game
    Bitcasters, Toronto, ON -fantasy social networks
    Blueprint Software Systems, Toronto, ON -in the requirements space
    Digital Payment Technologies Corp., Burnaby, BC - speaks for itself
    dthree Inc. Mississauga, ON - not sure what they do
    Kaben Wireless Silicon Inc, Ottawa, ON - semi conductor designs
    Mobidia, Inc., Vancouver, BC -wireless software
    Planeteye Inc., Toronto, ON -travel aggragetor
    Redwood Technologies, Calgary, AB -mobile billing
    Level Spatial View Inc., Toronto, ON - 3D

    No comments: